Gluten free flour blends come in many shapes and sizes, and that can get real confusing REAL fast. You can either purchase a pre-mixed flour blend or save money and MAKE YOUR OWN…
Making your own perfect gluten free flour blend is easy peasy and all you will need is a supermarket with bulk ingredients to do it! I use a lot of Bob’s Red Mill products for pre mixed blends.
What To Watch Out For When Buying Gluten Free Flour Blends
1. Read the ingredients, I always buy organic or natural, finely ground
2. If you are looking for a 1:1 baking ratio flour make sure the ingredients include
- xanthan gum and tapioca flour/starch (these are the substitutes for gluten or the GLUE)
3. Certain brands, even if marketed as 1:1 are not truly an equal product, look for quality and purity
4. My favorite blend is by Bob’s Red Mill Baking FlourÂ it truly is 1:1
Namaste Brand is also very good but you do need to use about 25% less of it than you would regular flour. Good for everyday cooking, not so much for baking.
Ingredients for The Perfect Gluten Free Flour Blend
- 4 cups of Brown Rice Flour
- 4 cups of White Rice Flour
- 4 cups of Sweet Rice Flour
- 4 cups of Tapioca Flour (also called Tapioca Starch)
- 2 1/4 TBSP Xanthan Gum
NOTE:Â Bob’s Red Mill Brand has all these individually but you will SAVE MORE buying in bulk at your local market. ps. this post contains amazon affiliate links, enjoy!
How to Make It
Pour all the dry ingredients into an extra large bowl, mix well for about 5 minutes with a whisk to make sure it is very well incorporated.
How to Store It
Store in an airtight container, I like using a 5L glass container plus all of your mixture will fit perfectly inside this size! Enjoy and happy baking!